Welcome to the Minimally Invasive Surgery Home Page
Welcome to the Toronto Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS) Group website. We are currently building a new website! Please check back soon for updates.
Laparoscopic surgery, or MIS, is performed using instruments through "keyhole" incisions instead of traditional "open" operations utilizing larger incisions. Our program is based at the two sites (Finch and Church) of the Humber River Hospital in Toronto. We are looking forward to moving to our new combined hospital campus in October 2015. Please visit Humber River Hospital's website at www.hrh.ca. We are affiliated with the University of Toronto General Surgery residency program and MIS fellowship programs.
The benefits of having laparoscopic surgery over open surgery include:
- Less pain
- Quicker recovery
- Faster return to work (therefore fewer missed days)
- Lower wound infection rate
- Lower hernia rate
- Lower chance of future intestinal obstruction due to scarring
- Bariatric surgery
- Colon and rectal surgery
- Solid organ (eg. adrenal)
- Anti-reflux surgery
- Hernias (groin, abdominal wall, hiatal, etc)
- Emergency surgery (appendix, perforation, intestinal obstruction, etc)
If you would like consultation for any of the above problems or more, please have your family physician send a referral to one of our surgeons, information listed under "Contact us" on the left.